Protect Your Property and Finances: Landlord Insurance

PropVestment: Cover yourself for the rainy day

Are you covered? Do you know your BSI for each property?

Many Landlords, me included, have not always got the right insurance in place for their properties and portfolios. One of the main reasons for this is the lack of information available in the everyday press, news and media. It is not like normal insurance which is shoved down your throat at every bank, supermarket or post office you visit. It is more specialised and can be tailored very much to your needs and you’ll be surprised at how many companies do provide it, and the reason it has come to my attention is I drove past a Direct Line Landlord insurance bill board yesterday.

There are many different types of Landlord. From the individual who is renting out their second home to the ambitious property tycoon with an ever-increasing portfolio of trendy dockside apartments. The common theme for all landlords is the need to purchase landlords insurance to protect their investment.

As a landlord, you are effectively using your property as an extra source of income – and this needs to be protected. A normal home insurance policy is not valid when you are taking an income from the property. A residential landlord policy is what is required.

With the correct landlords insurance policy in place, you can relax knowing that should any damage be caused to the property you are protected against the financial consequences. With this peace of mind in place, you can worry about running your property and nothing else.
Landlord’s insurance would pay you should the following happen:

• Your property is massively damaged by a fire. Luckily your tenants are not hurt but they have to move out as the damage is so bad. It takes builders and decorators 3 months to repair the damage. Your landlord’s insurance policy would not only pay for all of the work to repair the property but also pay you the rent that you are missing out on by not having tenants living in the property during this period.
• You fall out with your tenants. They stop paying the rent and refuse to leave the property. You are forced to take them to court to get them evicted and collect rent owed to you. If you have purchased the “Legal Expenses” cover as part of your Landlord’s insurance policy then all of your costs accrued in fighting the court case would be compensated.

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the Buildings Sum Insured (BSI)?

You are always asked to give an estimate for the Buildings Sum Insured (BSI) when going through the process of getting a Landlord’s Insurance quotation. This is an estimate of the cost for rebuilding your property should it be completely destroyed. Do not confuse this with the value of the property (which is normally much more – especially in prime city-centre locations) otherwise you will be paying more than is necessary for your insurance. On the other hand, do not be tempted to deliberately understate the BSI since should it come to making a claim the insurers will reduce the amount that they pay you in proportion to the amount you have underestimated.

Why am I not already covered under my normal home insurance?

Home insurance policies will not pay when the property is being used to make an income (for example when you are renting your property to tenants). You must therefore buy a Landlord’s Insurance policy which is especially designed and rated for these circumstances.

I have several properties; do I need to buy one policy per property?

No, you can buy one policy which covers as many properties as you have. Using our online quotation system you can receive instant quotations from many of the UK’s top insurers for one property or multiple properties.

How do insurers calculate the premium for Landlord’s Insurance?

Different insurers use different ways of assessing the risk of your property and therefore how much to charge you.

Some of the major factors are:

• The location of the property (postcode)
• The Buildings Sum Insured
• The type of tenants in the property
• A history of claims
• The age of the property
• The type of property (flat, detached, terraced etc)

So make sure you are covered, especially if you cannot afford to pay up when things go bad, there are many good deals around so do your research and shop around, and most importantly as you grow and trek along the journey to become a property tycoon you want peace of mind.

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.